We are looking for professional and qualified captains to run and maintain our vessels that conduct whale watching/sightseeing boat cruises and cruise ship tender operations from mid-May to October. Year round work is possible for the right candidate.
- The Captain is the leader in ensuring the safe passage of the passengers, crew and vessel. Has responsibility for all aspects of the vessel.
- Overall performance of the boat, the Captain is the overall decision maker and held to the highest expectations.
- Responsible for the safe, efficient operation and maintenance of the vessel, the safety and conduct of the crew and passengers.
- Develop a sense of "team spirit" in his crew and to be cooperative and pleasant with all employees, passengers, and companies personnel who have chartered the vessel.
- Captain gives guidance and direction to crew members and ensures that they comply with all BHWW and USCG regulations and perform their duties efficiently and safely.
- The Captain reports to the office on all matters pertaining to the operation and maintenance of the vessel and the performance and well-being of the crew.
- Keeps the office informed of all incidents, accidents, problems, etc. pertaining to the vessel, the crew, the passengers, and/or the personnel.
- Complete all company required trainings.
- Merchant Mariner Credentials Master 100 GT Inland and/or Near Coastal
- Current TWIC Card
- Current First Aid/CPR certification is preferred but training can be provided.
- Experience in passenger vessel industry preferred.
- Requires pre-employment drug testing and being part of a random drug test pool.
- Physically able to lift up to 50 pounds and work 8-12 hour days (during the summer and fall)
For over thirty decades, Bar Harbor Whale Watch Company has operated passenger boats on whale watching trips, nature tours, lighthouse tours, demonstration lobster fishing trips, and private charters. Our vessels also carry people to an island owned by Acadia National Park. We help tender visiting cruise ships, carrying passengers to shore. We assist Allied Whale and College of the Atlantic conducting observational research on marine mammals from our boats and are a Whale SENSE company.
We strive to create a memorable, safe, and enjoyable experience for our guests through education, collaboration, and excellent customer service. We seek to foster a positive and productive working environment that promotes professional growth, respect, and dedication.
We are located on Mount Desert Island, surrounded by Acadia National Park, the waters of Frenchman Bay and the Gulf of Maine.
We have 4 jet-powered catamaran passenger vessels ranging from 90-130 feet and with the largest certified to carry from up to 442 passengers. We also have a 56' demonstration lobster boat and 12 passenger Carolina Skiff.
Employee housing is available for a weekly fee in addition to specific terms and conditions.
Vessel assignments and duties are dependent on license held and experience. New captains generally start on the smaller vessels working up through licensed mate/engineer on the bigger boats and then onto captain of all our vessels.
New captains generally start out as seasonal employees with the possibility of year round work for the right person. Winter work includes delivery, winterizing and maintenance of vessels.
If you would like more information, please email Captain Larry Nuesslein at: firstname.lastname@example.org